Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nutella and Chocolate Chips for Breakfast!

What could be better than Nutella and Chocolate Chips for breakfast?  Nutella and Chocolate Chips in amazingly yummy muffins!!  I stole this recipe from one of my friends, who snagged it from another one of our mutual friends.  So this recipe is mine twice removed I suppose, but you can't beat making this recipe on a Monday, and enjoying these muffins for breakfast until Thursday!!  (Or if you're like me... maybe Tuesday... haha!)


I had to restrain myself from eating these straight up.  



Who knew Oatmeal could look so good!  Check out the Nutella swirls and the Chocolate Chips!

A nutritious, yet tasty breakfast in the making!



Now, there are two things I do while these muffins are baking.  This recipe calls for buttermilk, and let's be honest, who really uses an entire quart of buttermilk before it goes bad?  You do?  Great, but for the rest of us non-buttermilk drinkers, here is a quick tip I gleaned from my friend's mom.  Freeze it!  In plastic baggies, portion 1 Cup into each, and freeze it!  That way, you can use as much as you need and save the rest for another week.  Thanks Donna!

Ready for portioning!  
I use 1 Cup for the recipe, and have 4 Cups left over the freeze!  Save them for more muffins, pancakes, or biscuits!

The second thing I do while the muffins are baking is, brew an amazing cup of coffee.  Do not underestimate the benefits of grinding your own coffee.  The flavor of the coffee suffers the longer it sits ground.  But that's a topic for another day!  


Flavor of the week, Toasted Praline.  
Finished product!

Top with a little butter, and enjoy with a pot mug of coffee!




Nutella and Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients:
1 Cup Oats (I use the quick oats so I don't have to soak them)
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 Egg (or Egg White)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (Or 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar with a big squeeze of Molasses... this actually tastes better but is not as convenient)
1/4 Cup Oil
1/2 Cup Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp.  Salt
Dash of Cinnamon
Nutella and Choc. Chips (or any other add in)

I only use one bowl for this entire recipe!  Pre-heat oven to 350.  In large mixing bowl, combine Oats, buttermilk, egg, sugar, and oil.  Stir until oats are moistened.  Add flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir until combined, but do not overstir!!  No need for tough muffins!  Add in mix-ins.  I typically use Nutella and Choc. Chips... however... I have tried these add ins as well
*raspberries and white choc. chips
*peanut butter, bannana, and choc. chips
*peanut butter and honey
*dried cherries and choc. chips
*And my friend has tried Peach and Ginger

Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Enjoy!

Thanks Evie for sharing this awesome recipe!  I have truly enjoyed it!

Cheers!
Mrs. Sweets

No comments:

Post a Comment